Chika Aneke • Lagos • Nigeria
2016 • Acrylic on Incised Wooden Relief Sculpture.
80 x 124 cm
The above piece of art mirrors the image of a poor helpless widow as she painstakingly strives to successfully return back home with two very delicate but exquisitely embellished earthen pots of sparklingly clean water she jealously and briskly bears on her head and on her arm while on her way back from "Ogwugwu River" located some considerable distance away from the village at the time of severe draught in the land. Emphasis therefore, is not necessarily on the rich ethnic material provided by the "Uli" and "Nsibidi" aesthetics of the eastern Nigeria, which was sparingly used in rendering the this piece, but on the organic expressional gestures displayed by the central figure - the widow, as she tightly grips the two kegs as though her life depends on them. On the flip side of this story however, the above piece of art work was meticulously created to achieve yet another purpose - which is, to infinitely celebrate the inestimable value as well as the countless invaluable roles that water plays in the life of man. Hence man needs water to Cook, clean, build, plough his fields for crops, attend to his pets and livestock, wash, appear clean and most importantly, be sustained alive other than being dehydrated owing to lack of water in-take. Metaphorically speaking, water, in this context had advanced to symbolically depict the place of God of all creation in the life of man. Just as man cannot do without water if he intends to stay safe, healthy and alive, so does anyone that hopes to have a meaningful flourishing life need the immense presence of God just as the fish in the ocean need water to stay alive, so does man need the incomparable grace of God to conquer any life's battles, be it spiritual or physical.
1 in stock
- A Certificate of Authenticity will be provided together with my artworks.
- Please make sure your address and phone number in your ARTMO profile is actual. If you want to use a different address for delivery, then please make according changes throughout the check-out procedure.
- According to ARTMO’s shipping policy, only trusted carrier's such as FedEx, DHL or UPS will be used.
- Once the artwork is in your cart the shipping costs, including insurance, will be calculated based on your address. These costs will be added to your invoice. This may take a little time. You will receive an email once your invoice has been updated.
- An ARTMO shop manager will contact you directly, either by email, Skype, WhatsApp or phone in order to confirm all details and further proceedings.
- Now you want to finally check-out your item. If you change your mind, you can still delete the item in your cart. If you are still committed to purchase, now you need to finalize the check-out process and pay onto my ARTMO account. For your security, I will not receive my payment before the item has safely arrived.
- After payment I will pack and ship the artwork. This may take up to 48 hours since artwork packaging needs to be done thoroughly. If there is any delay, due to unforeseen circumstances, you will be informed asap.
- Once the item is on its way you will receive a tracking number which enables you to follow along the shipping on the carrier's website directly. It's important to note that if shipping internationally, there may be custom delays. This is not unusual and should not cause you any panic.
- When the item arrives, you must check the packaging and the item right away, in presence of the delivery person. In case of any damages you must report this to the delivery person. Please make photos which clearly show all damages. Any complaints after signing off the delivery receipt will not be accepted, neither by me nor by the insurance company.
My Return Policy:
I accept returns within 7 days after you have received the item. You must inform ARTMO about your decision to return the artwork, using email (firstname.lastname@example.org). You must return within 48 hours by using the same packing material and shipping carrier. All costs must be covered by you including shipping insurance. Once the item has arrived safely at the artist’s address and once it is confirmed undamaged ARTMO will refund the net price (excluding initial shipping and insurance costs).