Under The Willow Tree
Xiaojing Yan | 闫晓静 • Toronto • Canada
2017 • Vinyl, laser cut mirror surface stainless steel, etched stainless steel.
200 x 200 x 200 cm
Katzman Gallery - kontort project space installation. Dimensions variable.The willow tree represents strength and stability; its structure and trunk stands firm to withstand the greatest of challenges. Its branches are flexible and strong; they bend without breaking. The willow tree gives us a sense of belonging, safety, hope, and healing. In traditional visual depictions of the Buddhist Goddess of Mercy, Guanyin, she is often shown seated on a rock with a willow branch in a vase of water at her side. It is believed that the willow branch has the power to ward off evil spirits.The cicada is an insect thought to live only on wind and rain drops; it symbolizes the simple life and an incorruptible personality in ancient Chinese literature. Since it lives underground for years before shedding its skin, the cicada is considered a magical creature, and it is believed that it can connect the three realms of heaven, earth, and humanity; it is regarded as a symbol of rebirth and immortality.The figures I created here are wearing the cicada wings and resemble the western fairies. These hybrid ethereal creatures or sprites are scattered around the willow tree branches and constructing an mythological atmosphere.
Price on request
1 in stock
- A Certificate of Authenticity will be provided together with my artworks.
- Please make sure your address and phone number in your ARTMO profile is actual. If you want to use a different address for delivery, then please make according changes throughout the check-out procedure.
- According to ARTMO’s shipping policy, only trusted carrier's such as FedEx, DHL or UPS will be used.
- Once the artwork is in your cart the shipping costs, including insurance, will be calculated based on your address. These costs will be added to your invoice. This may take a little time. You will receive an email once your invoice has been updated.
- An ARTMO shop manager will contact you directly, either by email, Skype, WhatsApp or phone in order to confirm all details and further proceedings.
- Now you want to finally check-out your item. If you change your mind, you can still delete the item in your cart. If you are still committed to purchase, now you need to finalize the check-out process and pay onto my ARTMO account. For your security, I will not receive my payment before the item has safely arrived.
- After payment I will pack and ship the artwork. This may take up to 48 hours since artwork packaging needs to be done thoroughly. If there is any delay, due to unforeseen circumstances, you will be informed asap.
- Once the item is on its way you will receive a tracking number which enables you to follow along the shipping on the carrier's website directly. It's important to note that if shipping internationally, there may be custom delays. This is not unusual and should not cause you any panic.
- When the item arrives, you must check the packaging and the item right away, in presence of the delivery person. In case of any damages you must report this to the delivery person. Please make photos which clearly show all damages. Any complaints after signing off the delivery receipt will not be accepted, neither by me nor by the insurance company.
My Return Policy:
I accept returns within 7 days after you have received the item. You must inform ARTMO about your decision to return the artwork, using email (email@example.com). You must return within 48 hours by using the same packing material and shipping carrier. All costs must be covered by you including shipping insurance. Once the item has arrived safely at the artist’s address and once it is confirmed undamaged ARTMO will refund the net price (excluding initial shipping and insurance costs).